Check this site frequently for information about waste disposal and recycling on Lopez Island, including hours and rates at the Lopez facility, updates about the program, notices of meetings and special events, contact numbers, information about volunteering and contributing, and tips for reuse, recycling, and moving toward Zero Waste.
There will be fits and starts along the way as the new District seeks the most efficient way to run the operation while adhering to Lopez values. Please use the Suggestion Box to contribute comments or ideas regarding any aspect of the Lopez solid waste and recycling program including this web site.
- New Volunteer Coordinator (5/7/2013) - Carol Steckler has taken over the role of Volunteer Coordinator. Carol has lived on Lopez for almost 40 years and raised four children here. She has volunteered for many Lopez non-profits, including the Community Land Trust and KlOI Lopez Community … Continue reading
- Summer Hours (5/3/2013) - Beginning Wednesday, May 15, the Lopez Dump will be open an additional two hours per day. Summer Hours will be 11am to 4pm, Wednesdays, Saturdays, and Sundays.
- First Quarter Report is Here! (4/25/2013) - P.O. Box 922 Lopez Island, WA 98261 (360) 468-2555 www.lopezsolidwaste.org/ This is the first quarterly report from your locally managed and operated Lopez Solid Waste Disposal District. We are learning about the rhythm … Continue reading
- Earth Day Fair (4/24/2013) - April 22 dawned bright and beautiful for a 2-hour Earth Day Fair hosted by SWAP at Lopez Island School. Classes took turns circling through an array of exhibits, videos and hands-on activities promoting celebration and good stewardship of the planet. … Continue reading
- Plastic-Free Activist and Author Beth Terry Coming to Lopez (4/8/2013) - Beth Terry, author of Plastic Free: How I Kicked the Plastic Habit and How you Can Too, will share her journey from self-confessed plastic addict to empowered plastic-free activist during a presentation and book-signing at Woodmen Hall at 5:30pm on … Continue reading
- Household Hazardous Waste Round-Up (4/3/2013) - The Lopez Household Hazardous Waste Round-Up will take place on Sunday, April 28, from 11am to 2pm at the Lopez Island Dump. Accepted items include: pesticides and other poisons, gasoline and other waste fuels, wood preservatives, oil-based paints and stains, … Continue reading
To see all News postings, go to our News page.
Check the Recycling page for LSWDD guidelines to free (source-separated) and commingled recycling. The detailed guide, prepared by Neil Hanson, presents information about which materials can be accepted for recycling and how they should be prepared in order to preserve their value.
BUY LOPEZ JUNK BONDS AT PAPER-SCISSORS!
You can now buy our popular $25 Lopez “Junk Bonds” created by Lopez artist Kate Scott at Paper-Scissors on the Rock. Proceeds will help the LSWDD buy needed equipment and supplies such as first aid kits and safety vests as the District takes over operation of the Dump from San Juan County. You can also buy Junk Bonds and Lopez Island Dump T-Shirts by mail order. Check the SWAP page for details.
Junk Bonds make the ultimate Lopez gift: locally made, packable, mailable and totally recyclable!
In December 2011, the San Juan County Council elected to cease operating all solid waste facilities in the Islands and to invite commercial carriers and other entities to submit proposals for providing these services. Concerned Lopez citizens lobbied the County Council to consider another option for Lopez which would enable a Lopez community organization to assume responsibility for the solid waste program and facility. In response to a request for a show of support, 1418 Lopez voters, property owners, and other individuals (including 962 registered voters from Lopez) signed a petition supporting establishment of a Lopez Solid Waste Disposal District and pledging to help fund the District with property tax support. The Council appointed an Advisory Board to pursue development of a program and negotiate terms with the County. On June 26, 2012, the Council formally established a Lopez Solid Waste Disposal District and appointed a five-member Board of Directors.
HOW CAN I HELP?
LSWDD will be a success only if the entire community pitches in. Once LSWDD begins to take over operation of the Lopez Dump in January 2013, many volunteers will be needed on-site for such activities as helping at the recycling center and Take It or Leave It. Please go to the Volunteering page for more information.
Other ways you can help include:
- Helping with special events
- Making a financial contribution
Thank you for supporting the Lopez Island Dump!