Check this site frequently for information about waste disposal and recycling on Lopez Island, including hours and rates at the Lopez facility, updates about the program, notices of meetings and special events, contact numbers, information about volunteering and contributing, and tips for reuse, recycling, and moving toward Zero Waste.
There will be fits and starts along the way as the new District seeks the most efficient way to run the operation while adhering to Lopez values. Please use the Suggestion Box to contribute comments or ideas regarding any aspect of the Lopez solid waste and recycling program including this web site.
- TRASHION-FASHION 2014 (12/4/2013) - Announcing…the date you’ve been waiting for! The 2014 Trashion-Fashion Show will be held Saturday, August 9, at Lopez Center. Check the SWAP page for entry and show details in the new year. See you on the runway!
- Official Levy Results (12/4/2013) - The results are official. With a total of 1481 votes tallied, the Lopez Solid Waste Levy passed with 79.47 percent of the vote. Vote totals by precinct are as follows: Lopez North: 689 Yes, 154 No; Lopez South: 488 Yes; … Continue reading
- Levy Passes (11/6/2013) - The 2014 Lopez Solid Waste Levy to support the Lopez Island Dump passed with 78.2% of voters approving and 21.8% opposed.
- Trash-To-Treasures Auction October 27 (10/17/2013) - Finds from the Take-It-Or-Leave-It or elsewhere, creatively refurbished or repurposed into delightful, irresistible treasures, will be on the block at SWAP’s “first annual” Trash-To-Treasures Auction on Sunday afternoon, October 27. The offerings include household furnishings and decor, sculptures, gifts, and … Continue reading
- Trashion-Fashion DVD’s (10/9/2013) - Now available: The complete 2013 Trashion-Fashion show on DVD! The recording includes all participants, the awards ceremony, and a slideshow of Summer Moon Scriver’s photographs. See the SWAP page for purchase information.
- Additional morning hour starting October 16 (10/4/2013) - Effective October 16, 2013, the Lopez Dump will also be open from 8 – 9 a.m., with limited service. This additional morning hour aims to better address the needs of local contractors and commercial customers, but everyone is welcome. PLEASE … Continue reading
To see all News postings, go to our News page.
2014 SOLID WASTE LEVY FACT SHEET
Click on the 2014 Solid Waste Levy Fact Sheet for information about the levy measure that will appear on the November 5 ballot.
Check the Recycling page for LSWDD guidelines to free (source-separated) and commingled recycling. The detailed guide, prepared by Neil Hanson, presents information about which materials can be accepted for recycling and how they should be prepared in order to preserve their value.
NANCY BINGHAM JUNK BONDS AT PAPER-SCISSORS!
You can find our new “Series B” edition Junk Bond for 2013, created by Lopez artist Nancy Bingham, at Paper-Scissors on the Rock as well as at the Islander Resort Craft Fair (Saturday and Sunday, December 7 and 8) and the Port Stanley School Holiday Show (Saturday, September 14). The collectible bonds cost $25 and help SWAP provide auxiliary funding to our wonderful Lopez Island Dump. You can also buy Junk Bonds and T-Shirts by mail order. Check the SWAP page for details.
Junk Bonds make the ultimate Lopez gift: locally made, packable, mailable and totally recyclable!
In December 2011, the San Juan County Council elected to cease operating all solid waste facilities in the Islands and to invite commercial carriers and other entities to submit proposals for providing these services. Concerned Lopez citizens lobbied the County Council to consider another option for Lopez which would enable a Lopez community organization to assume responsibility for the solid waste program and facility. In response to a request for a show of support, 1418 Lopez voters, property owners, and other individuals (including 962 registered voters from Lopez) signed a petition supporting establishment of a Lopez Solid Waste Disposal District and pledging to help fund the District with property tax support. The Council appointed an Advisory Board to pursue development of a program and negotiate terms with the County. On June 26, 2012, the Council formally established a Lopez Solid Waste Disposal District and appointed a five-member Board of Directors.
HOW CAN I HELP?
LSWDD will be a success only if the entire community pitches in. Once LSWDD begins to take over operation of the Lopez Dump in January 2013, many volunteers will be needed on-site for such activities as helping at the recycling center and Take It or Leave It. Please go to the Volunteering page for more information.
Other ways you can help include:
- Helping with special events
- Making a financial contribution
Thank you for supporting the Lopez Island Dump!