Check this site frequently for information about waste disposal and recycling on Lopez Island, including hours and rates at the Lopez facility, updates about the program, notices of meetings and special events, contact numbers, information about volunteering and contributing, and tips for reuse, recycling, and moving toward Zero Waste.
There will be fits and starts along the way as the new District seeks the most efficient way to run the operation while adhering to Lopez values. Please use the Suggestion Box to contribute comments or ideas regarding any aspect of the Lopez solid waste and recycling program including this web site.
- Website moved to a new server - Today, Aug. 22, I moved the site to a new server to better serve the long term needs of LSWDD. If you experience any problems or unexpected behavior, please let me know at email@example.com. Thanks! Ann Palmer, webmaster
- Trashion-Fashion the Video! - Relive Trashion-Fashion 2014! Starting August 16 Trashion DVD’s will be available at the SWAP/Dump booth at the Saturday Farmers’ Market. The price is $10. The DVD, created by SWAP board member Glen Maxson, includes video of the entire runway show, awards … Continue reading
- Trashion-Fashion Tickets On Sale - Tickets for Trashion-Fashion 2014 are now on sale at Paper Scissors on the Rock and the Southend General Store for a suggested donation of $15. A limited number of tickets will be sold at the door. Trashion-Fashion, an over-the-top runway … Continue reading
- It’s Summertime and the Dump is Hoppin’ - The Lopez Solid Waste Disposal District (LSWDD) is pleased to announce our new hire, Matthew McQueen, for the one-year grant funded position of Community Training and Education Coordinator. This one-year position is 75% funded through the WA State Department of … Continue reading
- Zapalac and Lawrence Hired by Lopez Solid Waste - The Lopez Solid Waste Disposal District has hired David Zapalac for the position of Facility Manager, effective immediately. David had served as transitional Site Supervisor since April 5th. As Manager, he will continue his hands-on work during and after business … Continue reading
- New Fee to Recycle Printers, Scanners, and Copiers - Starting July 16, LSWDD will charge a $4.00 fee for recycling printers, scanners, and copiers, whether in working condition or otherwise. The fee will apply to both separate and combination units and will be collected at the pay kiosk. Why … Continue reading
To see all News postings, go to our News page.
2013 ANNUAL REPORT SUMMARY
The Managing Board of the Lopez Island Solid Waste Disposal District published the first annual report for the District on February 27, 2014. The report Summary follows. To view the full report, including financial statements from the first year of operation, please click on the link in the News post above, or go to the LSWDD page and click on “Quarterly Reports.”
Wonderful job everyone. We can report a successful first year of operation including progress towards our goal of zero-waste, reintroducing free self-separated recycling, lowered garbage fees, improved flow of items through the Take It or Leave It and a positive cash return. Other 2013 highlights include: purchase of a roll-off truck (bought on a 5-year loan), purchase of the backhoe (through generous local contributions), and passage of the second Lopez Solid Waste Levy with 79.47 percent in favor. Add to this the critical work by our partner organization Solid Waste Alternatives Program, (SWAP), including hosting events such as the Trashion Fashion show and local fund-raising efforts including selling Junk Bonds. Success continues to build—in large part due to the tireless efforts of so many Lopezians who volunteer, and customers who sort their recycling and participate wholeheartedly in reducing waste. These actions result in increased services and ever more impressive steps towards zero waste.
2014 SOLID WASTE LEVY FACT SHEET
Click on the 2014 Solid Waste Levy Fact Sheet for information about the levy measure that will appear on the November 5 ballot.
Check the Recycling page for LSWDD guidelines to free (source-separated) and commingled recycling. The detailed guide, prepared by Neil Hanson, presents information about which materials can be accepted for recycling and how they should be prepared in order to preserve their value.
NANCY BINGHAM JUNK BONDS AT PAPER-SCISSORS!
You can find our new “Series B” edition Junk Bond for 2013, created by Lopez artist Nancy Bingham, at Paper-Scissors on the Rock as well as at the Islander Resort Craft Fair (Saturday and Sunday, December 7 and 8) and the Port Stanley School Holiday Show (Saturday, September 14). The collectible bonds cost $25 and help SWAP provide auxiliary funding to our wonderful Lopez Island Dump. You can also buy Junk Bonds and T-Shirts by mail order. Check the SWAP page for details.
Junk Bonds make the ultimate Lopez gift: locally made, packable, mailable and totally recyclable!
In December 2011, the San Juan County Council elected to cease operating all solid waste facilities in the Islands and to invite commercial carriers and other entities to submit proposals for providing these services. Concerned Lopez citizens lobbied the County Council to consider another option for Lopez which would enable a Lopez community organization to assume responsibility for the solid waste program and facility. In response to a request for a show of support, 1418 Lopez voters, property owners, and other individuals (including 962 registered voters from Lopez) signed a petition supporting establishment of a Lopez Solid Waste Disposal District and pledging to help fund the District with property tax support. The Council appointed an Advisory Board to pursue development of a program and negotiate terms with the County. On June 26, 2012, the Council formally established a Lopez Solid Waste Disposal District and appointed a five-member Board of Directors.
HOW CAN I HELP?
LSWDD will be a success only if the entire community pitches in. Once LSWDD begins to take over operation of the Lopez Dump in January 2013, many volunteers will be needed on-site for such activities as helping at the recycling center and Take It or Leave It. Please go to the Volunteering page for more information.
Other ways you can help include:
- Helping with special events
- Making a financial contribution
Thank you for supporting the Lopez Island Dump!